Home Maintenance Tips
Scheduling Preventive Maintenance Helps You Avoid Costly Repairs
Over the years we’ve been in so many of homes maintaining appliances and taking care of other recurring needs to keep residences in good working condition. Often times we are asked why the appliances need to be maintained and why we recommend the particular frequency. The following will shed light on this and have you make good decisions in the maintenance of your home.
- For your air conditioner, quarterly check ups, filter replacements and adding antibacterial tablets keeps your unit functioning properly at all times. It should be noted that most manufacturers’ recommendation requires maintenance every quarter. In addition turning on your air conditioner at least one hour twice a week keeps the motor running smoother and circulates the stale water built up in the coils. By following this schedule you’ll be less likely to have any breakdowns or drip pan overflows due to an improperly functioning air conditioner.
- Depending on how often you use your clothes dryer, the frequency with which you clear the dryer vent is very important. A dryer used at least twice a week should have the vent cleared every quarter. Build up of lint in the vent could be enough to prolong the drying process, thus placing a greater burden on the dryer. More importantly though, a clogged vent is a fire hazard as the lint is highly combustible and because your dryer will not have a way to vent the warm air, it will run at very high temperatures.
- Keeping your bathroom vent clear of accumulated dust is important as it takes a lot of the moisture out of the bathroom air. Dust build up in the vent prevents the moist air from circulating out. Over time the moisture can damage the walls of your bathroom and also lead to mold growth.
- Periodic checks on the plumbing and drains are important as leaks can be detected through visual checks on the counters as well as under the sink. A leaky faucet cartridge not only wastes water, but can also damage you marble or granite counter top. Pipes also need to be checked for proper draining and to make sure the P-traps are working as an odor trap from the main sewer line.
- Using proper light bulbs with correct wattage and type is very important as a bulb above or below the recommended wattage could short out your light fixture.
- Lubricating sliding windows and doors will keep them operating smoothly. This is very important especially if your door or window is very heavy, and if you live near the ocean where the salt air tends to freeze the rolling metal parts quicker.
- Keeping the coils in refrigerator free of accumulated dust allows the refrigerator to run more efficiently thus saving electricity.
- Periodically the toilet flush valve assembly must be replaced to avoid having a running toilet. The rubber parts begin to deteriorate over time causing water to seep through openings in the stopper. The deteriorating rubber also stains the porcelain bowl leaving it with unsightly brown stains running down the side.
- Periodically checking you ground-fault circuit interrupter (“GFCI”) outlets will prevent the potential of an electrical shock to the user.
- Checking if the smoke detector is functioning properly and the batteries are still good is always very important, as we have seen how quickly fires can spread throughout a home as well as neighboring residences.
We hope we’ve been able to provide you with a good explanation of why we all need to be proactive when it comes to our home appliances. Please contact us if you would like to learn more about home maintenance.